There are various ways to take CBD products. The best known include CBD oil drops, capsules, crystals and gum. With such a selection available to you, and each coming in different CBD mg levels, it can be difficult for a beginner to know how to take CBD oil.
How to take CBD oil orally?
The most common way to consume CBD oil is orally, although you can also get CBD infused into beauty products to be absorbed via the skin. If you want to take CBD oil orally then you can do so by purchasing any of the following:
- CBD oil drops
- CBD gum
- CBD capsules
- CBD crystals
The benefit of drops and gum over capsules or crystals is a faster absorption of the CBD, instead of passing through the stomach and liver (with first-past metabolism), instead it is absorbed directly into the blood stream.
Tips for taking CBD oil drops:
- Stand in front of a mirror when taking your drops, so you can see where to place them and how many droplets you are consuming.
- Lift your tongue and release the appropriate number of drops (this could be anything from one to five drops)
- You should aim to keep the CBD oil beneath your tongue for one to two minutes to allow maximum absorption into the bloodstream. You can swallow the remainder.
Tips for taking CBD oil capsules:
CBD capsulesare very convenient to take, have a clear dosage and have no taste. However, they are not as effective as drops or CBD oil gum. If you prefer a slower release of CBD, then bear in mind:
- Take your capsules with food (it helps the supplement’s bioavailability)
CBD capsules on the other hand are very convenient to take, have a clear dosage and have no taste. The benefit of crystals is that you can add them to cakes and other edibles.
How much CBD oil should I take?
Depending on your reasons for taking CBD oil, and your own genetic makeup, correct dosage can vary from person to person. However, we can provide, as a rough guide, some dosage recommendations for taking CBD oil.
The best dosage of CBD for:
- Chronic pain: If you want to know how much CBD to take for pain, studies have shown that you should start with 2.5mg and work your way up to 20mg a day. It is best taken orally.
- Lack of sleep: to treat insomnia with CBD oil, aim to consume around 40mg-160mg a day.
- Anxiety or depression: The Depression Alliance have suggested a daily dosage of between 10mg-50mg to treat anxiety or depression.
- Epilepsy: Often prescribed to patients, epilepsy sufferers will need to take a higher dose of CBD oil – figures suggest anywhere between 200-300mg a day.
Start off with a lower dose of CBD
Until you know how CBD oil will affect you, it is best to start out with a smaller number of milligrams and slowly increase as necessary – always being aware of how the increase in dosage has affected you. It is not recommended that you increase your dosage by more than one milligram a time. We recommend starting of with a daily dosage of 10mg of CBD.
Decide why you are taking CBD oil
Depending on which issue you are looking to treat, you may want to take a different CBD oil dosage. Depending on the severity of your pain, depression or other illness, you may want to take a high dosage of CBD oil to effectively combat your symptoms.